Category Archives for "COMMUNITY CHANGE"

Sep 21

Just the “Good Ole’ Boys”: Moving Beyond the Dukes of Hazard’s Racism of Innocent Ignorance

By Jason Sawyer | CORPORATE MEDIA , IDENTITY , RACE , SOCIAL JUSTICE

A three part series on the meaning of the confederate flag from a semi-conscious white ally born and raised in the ex-confederate south.   Pt. I: Childhood, Image Based Knowledge, and My Media-Shaped History Childhood, a time of innocence, learning, socialization, growth, and awakening is also a time of great distraction.  As a young child […]

Continue reading
Aug 20

Entering Silently, Listening to Learn, and Building Authentic Relationships:

By Jason Sawyer | COMMUNITY CHANGE , ECONOMIC JUSTICE , RACE , SOCIAL JUSTICE

Seven Tools in Shifting From Well Meaning Whiteness to Useful Ally This is the third and final portion of a three part series on navigating difference in community organizing and social justice work. Targeted at members of my own community, it covers seven essential tools in moving through the process of ally consciousness. Part one […]

Continue reading
Aug 10

Entering Silently, Listening to Learn, and Building Authentic Relationships:

By Jason Sawyer | COMMUNITY CHANGE , IDENTITY , RACE , SOCIAL JUSTICE

Seven Tools in Shifting From Well Meaning Whiteness to Useful Ally This piece is part of a three part series on navigating difference in community organizing and social justice work. Targeted at members of my own community, it covers seven essential tools in moving through the process of ally consciousness. Pt. I: Unearned Social Power […]

Continue reading